You Won't Believe This!-Update 3/28/17

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by ksflygirl, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Ok, some of you have seen my posts- waiting since August for expedited claim for my 90 (almost 91) year old father in law. 3 weeks ago after speaking with my VA rep expressing my concern she called to check what was happening. At that time they told her that it was a fully developed claim and should be processing soon. The rep told me to call her back in 2-3 weeks if we had not heard anything. I wrote at that time "I was hopeful".
    Well yesterday I emailed the rep to check in, reviewing our timeline so far. Today, I received an email and a phone call from her. She had called Minnesota once again to check on our claim. A rep there, looking through everything said- "Well this is why nothing has happened- he is deceased!" My rep said he is NOT deceased- look at the death certificate- that is his wife's! They had looked at the death certificate- which said a strictly female name and marked my father in law deceased. To say I am upset is an understatement- I worked so hard to have everything perfect (and in fact it was) they have never asked for anything additional, it was fully developed etc. So someone on their end made this mistake which thank goodness we have caught. So now we faxed an additional form, signed by my father in law saying that he is in fact very much alive.
    The rep told me it should now be acted upon fairly quickly, as it is now an expedited "old" claim (dating back to August) It is just incredible that there is no accountable on that end.
    Let me know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing, and please keep us in your thoughts and hope that this happens soon. My father in law is at his last $10,000..... :(

2. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Oh ksflygirl, I am so sorry to hear this! This must be so incredibly frustrating for you. I try to remember that the folks at the VA who review these applications are only human and mistakes can happen (especially with the more technical/financial issues), but good grief--this kind of mistake is hard to fathom.

Let me offer this--I also submitted my father's A&A application as a fully developed claim (FDC). A couple months after filing the application, the VA informed me that they had kicked it out of the FDC track because they had a question and needed more info (info they, in fact, already had). This was crushing because the money situation was tight--I was sure we would be moved to the bottom of the pile and a decision would take many more months. I quickly faxed them the requested info (again) and then followed up with a phone call about a week or so later. The good news is that my dad ended up being approved only a few weeks afterwards.

If I were you, I would give the VA a call to follow up. Ask them if they got your fax, politely remind them of their mistake and how tight your FIL's money situation is. I would ask if they have an idea when a decision might be made. They may not give you an answer, but at least they will know you are out there and waiting (the squeaky wheel and all). And hopefully--since this mistake is so fundamental and clearly on them--they will expedite your claim and turn it around soon.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck and please keep us posted.

3. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Thank you for your reply Jandy. The VA rep who submitted the new form indicating my FIL is alive also faxed a letter of support, indicating what had happened. Ihave received a follow up from her that it all was indeed faxed and received. She assured me that I would not be moved to the bottom of the pile that now his claim would be acted upon because it is an "old" expedited claim. I will wait a week and follow your advice. Thanks for your good wishes! Will keep all posted.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

ksflygirl, you look to be in good shape--it sounds like you're doing everything possible for your FIL. Do let us know what happens.

Kaylin likes this.
  5. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Yes, please do keep us posted!

6. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Thanks to all who continue to send support! What I want most of all is to tell you all- Pension Received!

Kaylin likes this.
  7. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Look at you, burying the lede! ;)

This is FANTASTIC news, ksflygirl. I'm so glad things moved quickly after the whole death certificate mix-up. I know this is a load off your mind--job well done!!

Congratulations, and please thank your father-in-law for his service. My best goes out to you and your family.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

Agreed, that is awesome! Congrats on getting the benefit for your FIL, ksflygirl!

9. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

I am afraid some of you may have misinterpreted my comment-"What I want most of all is to tell you all- Pension Received!"- that is what I WANT to be able to tell you- it certainly has not happened yet. In fact the plot thickens- and not in a good way. After my VA rep had me fill out the form indicating that my FIL was indeed alive and she attached a letter saying please act on this claim, I took the advice of Jandy and finally called to follow up. I spoke with a gentleman and said I was looking for a claim status. He asked identity verifying questions and then said he would check his file. He came back on the line and offered several confusing statements- that the claim had been closed in August (that is when we filed it) that it had been reopened but not acted upon Feb 23 (this is when the VA rep called to check on it and was told it was a fully developed claim and should be acted upon soon) He said he would get this expedited and I should receive a phone call from the VA. Remember I have received update letters throughout this entire time- how would I ever have known this was going on?
    To say I have lost faith in this process is an understatement! Who the heck is working there?? I cannot understand the complete lack of accountability of this agency- and I work for local government. I will wait until next Monday and call again- is there any downside to me making these calls?

Kaylin likes this.
  10. Kaylin

Thank you for clarifying, ksflygirl. We want nothing more than success for you and your family as well! I am glad you are on top of it to make sure that the application is getting processed in a timely manner. I think that's your best bet - to stay on top of it by calling and sending in whatever they may need. I know it is frustrating, there are so many veterans and family members of veterans who go through this and it's just horrible!

I do not think there is any downside of you making these calls.

Jandy likes this.
  11. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Oh good grief--sorry I misunderstood! I second everything Kaylin said; I specifically echo that I don't think there's a downside to calling the VA. I subscribe to the "squeaky wheel" (of course, as long as it's kind and respectful) with this A&A process.

I hope you hear something soon. Keep us posted!

Kaylin likes this.
  12. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

New Today- I received a call from the VA today- and just missed it! Called back to see what the call was about and to to verify that the claim status was active- remember I called Monday. Claim rep was super nice and she said she now could not see a claim AT ALL- due to the fact that my FIL was deceased.(He is not!)
    Just wanted to cry. She was able to check the notations on file from the call that was made to me. The notes said that the file was now being put back in process. Claim rep seemed to feel that file just had not been "re-uploaded which was why she couldn't see anything." She told me to call back in another week to check the status. I am so discouraged......

13. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Um, this is unacceptable. I am so sorry and feel frustrated for you. A fully developed claim for a 90-91 year old veteran filed back in August should be well beyond the stage they seem to be stuck at ("is he alive?!"). I definitely would make regular calls to keep on them. And I wonder if it's time to call your FIL's senator to get them involved and make a Congressional inquiry. I have no experience with this, but hopefully someone else will weigh in.

Again, I'm so sorry ksflygirl. Please keep coming back to let us know what's going on.

Kaylin likes this.
  14. Kaylin

ksflygirl, as Jandy said - stay on top of this! Call every day if you have to! This is not right and sounds like the VA is giving you guys a hard time.

15. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Here is what I think any one at the VA who has handled this claim should be doing. After realizing an error it should be processed immediately and a call should be received- not calling and leaving no message or a number with a real person and extension- this should be acted upon. As I have indicated in prior posts- I work for county government and we are trained knowing we are public servants that our citizens are our bosses. We feel very obligated to respond to their concerns in a thoughtful, timely, considerate way. How many vets pass away during this extended process, never even receiving a penny? You have read about them right on these pages. It is very sad that these vets who gave so much to us are treated so disrespectfully. No one with any authority can assure me of anything- what other business operates this way??? I will start calling frequently- although I do understand that it takes some time to catch up on this information-after all they had my poor father n law as deceased?! Thanks to all of you, who keep me going- I will see this through!

Kaylin likes this.
  16. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

ksflygirl,
    Exactly--I couldn't agree more....You're right--you WILL see this through; I'm just sorry the process has been so challenging. Please keep us posted as to what's going on. And/or just post to vent! I'm rooting for you and your FIL....

Kaylin likes this.
  17. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

VA REPLY-
    We received this from the VA today:
    "This is in reply to your inquiry of 3/27/17. We received your father's claim on August 11, 2016. We apologize for the delay in processing this claim. Currently his claim has been assigned for processing, however we cannot provide a specific date of completion as it depends upon workload, the complexity of the claim submitted, and the date the claim was received. We will certainly do our best to complete his claim as soon as possible. If we need any additional information we will contact him via telephone or written notification. Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below." I have always wanted to be optimistic,I hope this means we are closer. I thank you all (Jandy, Kaylin and others) who have provide the support I have needed. Any thoughts on this?

Kaylin likes this.
  18. Kaylin

ksflygirl, I would consider getting your FIL's state senator involved at this point. An expedited claim for a 90+ year old veteran that was submitted in August should have been processed by now. Please consider calling or emailing your FIL's state senator to make a congressional inquiry on behalf of his pension claim due to his advanced age.

19. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

Is it his senator or congressman??

20. Kaylin

His senator. That's who can do the congressional inquiry into his claim.