Starting process with questions on the intent to file form

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by afk324, Nov 4, 2016.

1. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Hello Thanks in advance
    I plan to do the Aid and Attendance forms for my 95 year old Mother
    > She lives in Pittsburgh, PA and I live in New York

On the Form, Can I use my address and Phone number ?
    I expect to be the direct communication for her.
    Do I need to add anything to the form or add a form or a cover letter

Kaylin likes this.
  2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Yes, you can use your own phone number and address if you plan on doing the communication with the VA. You need to include a 21-0845 (which you will also include in the complete application). To authorize yourself as the third party.

3. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Thanks Kaylin ......I will search out the 21-0845 and start working the Initial step.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

You're welcome!

5. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Thanks again Kaylin. We have just mailed my Mother's Intent to File a Claim package ( Short Cover Letter, Intent to File Claim Form, and a 21-0845 ) on 12/11.
    What is the approximate timing to expect an answer from the VA?

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Hard to say as the timing will definitely vary from case to case and from pension center to pension center. But if you haven't heard back in a month then I would suggest calling the VA to find out the status and make sure they've received the Intent to File.

7. afk324

afk324 Newbie

Hello I would like to report that I have received today ( 12/29/2016) a letter from the VA that my Mother's Intent to file was received on December 13, 2016.
    They stated that 12/13/2016 is our date of record with a completed application submitted within 1 year. We were also assigned a VA File Number for all communications.
    Thank you again for help with this 1st step. I have started the full package and hope to complete as soon as possible. afk324

Kaylin likes this.
  8. Kaylin

Thank you for coming back to let us know! I will make a note on your timeline in order to let others know if they ask.

9. afk324

afk324 Newbie

I have completed my Mother's application and mailed it certified return receipt requested on Jan 9, 2017. I have tracked it to its arrival on 1/13/17 and I see the return receipt is on its way. Thanks Kaylin and all posters. I am happy with the support from Veteran Aid.

Kaylin likes this.
  10. Kaylin

You are most welcome. So the process begins - it's a good start! Keep us updated on any news and if you have any questions feel free to come back.