Should I be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Waiting on Updates' started by ksflygirl, Jan 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

I'm posting to see if anyone can give me an idea if there is anything else I need to be doing with regards to our claim. My father in law is 90 years old. He moved into an assisted living facility on August 1. It costs $4000/month. I mailed his Intent to File that day. We received a letter saying they had received the Intent to File on August 4th. We submitted his claim with a VA rep on August 10 and received a letter saying they had received it on August 25, and that "if they needed anything else they would contact us, so there was no need to contact them in the meantime."
    Since then we have received two additional letters dated October 12 and December 9 from the Veterans Service Center Manager in St. Paul Minnesota saying that they were still processing the claim and that we will be notified upon completion of processing. They have asked for no additional information (and believe me they have everything I could possibly send!)
    My FIL only had $24,000 to his name when he moved in- he pays an additional $2000/month from that to pay his bill there- he has gone through half of his money and of course is so worried as to what he will do. Is there anything else on my end we should be doing or does this sound like a fairly typical progression? I know everyone feels this is such a difficult process for our elders who are least equipped to manage this. My continued thanks to all of you and this Board that supplies so much information and support.

2. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I had a similar experience when I filed for my MIL. The VA sent the same kind of form letters. I filed back in May of 2016 for intent to file. I did receive a call from one of the case workers about two weeks ago to help clarify some things on the application. From my point of view, other than the frustration of waiting, I had the same experience.

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

If your FIL is getting to the point to where his finances are being completely depleted by the assisted living and care facilities then you do have the option of sending in a Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 asking to expedite the processing of his application because he is facing financial hardship. Include any evidence (you can write it on that Statement form and/or include bank statements and any other supporting evidence) so that the VA knows this is for real.

4. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

So toxdoc49- Has your MIL received her award yet???

5. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I think it helped that they called, because in fact we just got word of my MIL being awarded benefits, great news!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. ksflygirl

ksflygirl Newbie

toxdoc49- this is great news! Congrats! Kaylin do I do this if I have already requested expedition related to his age being 90? I did that with original application.

Kaylin likes this.
  7. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

You can. It wouldn't hurt. Hopefully it will already be expedited due to his age, though.