Sent application. What next?

Discussion in 'Veteran Application' started by HelpinDad, Feb 7, 2016.

1. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

Hello all. And as stated many times before, Thank you for all your help.

I sent the application for A&A and all supporting documentation to the correct VA address based on where Dad lives. (Philadelphia in our case). According to post office tracking it was delivered Monday Feb 1,2016. Is there anything more I can /should be doing? Is there a way to check on the progress of the application?

I know I sound eager and it has only been a week. I have begun looking into borrowing money as my fathers assets without assistance will be depleted by June.

Thanks again

2. Rboyer

Rboyer Newbie

Good luck with the Philadelphia office, my mother is already on aid and attendance but we sent a request to have her amount increased due to being moved to an assisted living facility back in Sept. Then in Oct we recieved a letter that said they recieved the information, but because they are busy it would be some time, also said don't call us we'll call you. It's now Febuary, we have called four times and sent certified letters, never a response, the complained online to the VA in Washington, no response the wrote the inspector general, no response. Finally sent a request to my Congressman and he is also waiting for a response. For some reason much of what you hear about the VA is true. A lot of people collecting taxpayer money, and not working. They are rude arrogant and totally uncaring about the hardships they put families through. Each month we must make up the difference in money for my mothers care but it's not about the veterans or their dependents, instead it's a broke system with people getting paid for not doing there jobs.

3. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

HelpinDad,

I'm glad to hear your application is in motion! The hardest part is over. Now you just have to wait for the VA. As Rboyer mentioned, it can take some time. If the award takes longer than 5 months time, I would contact the VA to check on the status. Especially if your father will be completely depleted of assets by June. If he is showing financial hardship by that time and the VA still has not gotten back with you, I would either get the Senator involved or send another Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 to stress to the VA that your father is in financial hardship for paying for care.

Best of luck and I hope the VA gets back with you soon.

toxdoc49 likes this.
  4. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

HelpinDad,

Here's my recent timeline with the Philly VA Center. Submitted my MIL's A&A packet in Dec. 2014. I received standard letters about every other month that they were working on it. Received award letter in July 2015, almost exactly 6 months after submission.

Be on the lookout for those status letters, and if you don't receive one within 3 months, I'd advise you to at least call and find out why.

toxdoc49 likes this.
  5. Kaylin

jscott,

Thank you so much for your input to HelpinDad on how your application process went.

6. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

JScott,
    Thank you for your reply. And to all that have replied Thank You.

Let me ask a follow up question. I have electronic tracking stating that the Philadelphia office received Dad's application Feb 1. But I have not gotten the actual card back from the post office yet. Others tell me that is not unusual and that it might take 10 business days for the post office card with signature to get back to me.

As part of our package we sent form 21-0845 "Authorization to Disclose Personal Information" naming me. And it was I who wrote the cover letter. Will VA send status letter to me or to Dad?

thanks again
    HelpinDad

7. Kaylin

HelpinDad,

Whichever address you used on the main application for the Aid and Attendance benefit would be the corresponding address the VA would send letters to. If it was your Dad's address you provided, it will go to his place.

8. JeanT

JeanT Newbie

Sent original application for my mother who is 88 and in an assisted living facility in March of 2015 to the PA office. Rec'd a denial in June of 2015. Reapplied with supporting documents and updates Sept. 1st,2015 and rec'd a letter stating they rec'd the information and would process as quickly as possible. I have not heard from the VA since regarding the application. I contacted my Senators office asking for help at the end of December 2015. As of today I have spoken with the girl at the Senators office who is handling my request for assistance twice. The first time she told me it would take approximately a month for them to receive a response from the VA. I spoke with her yesterday and she told me she would email them to see what she could find out. This process is all very disappointing and discouraging.

9. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

Jean,

I suggest you follow back up with this girl at your Senator's office, and let her know that this has gone on far too long, and ask that she be more aggressive in getting a resolution for your Mom.

10. vetadmin

vetadmin Administrator Staff Member

HelpinDad,

This would not be the time to contact a Senator as the application has just been received. No merit to make a case for their inquiry.

If you take a loan, then yes, you would pay by two checks, and do not deposit the extra money into his account.

11. jscott

jscott Jr. Member

Helpin Dad,

Did you ever get the return receipt card back from the VA? Since it's been a month since you mailed the application, if you haven't gotten the card back, I would call the VA to make sure it has been received. (Just because you have electronic tracking, doesn't mean the VA hasn't lost it somewhere).

12. HelpinDad

HelpinDad Newbie

jscott,

Yes I have the return receipt card back from USPS. We also got the standard form letter from the VA dated Feb 12 "We have received your application for benefits......" So I know they have the application and they assigned a file number. Trouble is we are going to run out of money very soon. Dad has enough for April maybe May.

Very hard to "Just Wait"

Bevy likes this.
  13. Bevy

Bevy Newbie

I have a question related to sending the documentation and receiving notice that VA has received it. Did you send Intent to file a Claim VA form 21-0966 first and separately or did you send that form and the Application for Pension with your supplementing documents in the same packet to the VA? I'm asking because this is new and if I can save a step, fine but if I have to send them separately then that's fine too. I don't want to overstep and have to do it all again. Thanks.

14. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hi Bevy,
    In another post, I believe you said you are getting very close to sending in the full application. If by that, you mean in the next several days or couple of weeks, you do NOT need to send in an Intent to File at all.

The purpose of the Intent to File form 21-0966 is to establish the earliest possible effective date for a benefit award. For example, let's say an applicant sends in an Intent to File in January, and then sends in the complete application in April. If the application is approved and benefits awarded, they will be paid retroactively to January when the Intent to File was sent in (if no Intent to File was sent in, then the benefits would track back retroactively to April, the date the full application was filed).

In your case, if you plan to file soon, just send in the full application. If you think it will take you more time to get everything together, send in the Intent to File now, and then file the full application & supporting docs when you're ready (note that you have 1 year to file the full application after sending in an Intent to File).

Good luck with the process and keep us posted!

Bevy likes this.
  15. Bevy

Bevy Newbie

16. Bevy

Bevy Newbie

Thank you Jandy for the info! Whether I send intent to file or complete documents with application, I'll need to send certified mail return receipt requested?

Kaylin likes this.
  17. Kaylin

Yes, make sure to mail everything return receipt so that you can know the exact date the VA accepted the application forms.

Bevy likes this.