Reapplying after almost two years

Discussion in 'Eligibility Questions' started by robin, Jan 7, 2017.

1. robin

robin Newbie

Hello. My dad applied for aid and attendance benefits in March 2015, but was denied because his expenses weren't very significant. His health has deteriorated significantly in the last three months and he is now in an assisted living facility with much higher expenses and would like to re-apply for the benefits, which I believe he should now receive. His denial from May 2015 says that he can resubmit if he fills out a medical expense report (which they enclosed) by Dec. 31, 2017. I am preparing to do so, but it doesn't seem to provide a space to show the monthly expenses he has been paying for an aide for the past year-and-a-half or the monthly cost of the assisted living facility that he moved into last month.

Should I add a cover letter that indicates his file number and include the new documentation, as well as updated forms that were filled out by his physician detailing his deterioration? Or do I need to re-submit the entire application?

Thank you very much.
    Robin

2. VA Legal Team

VA Legal Team Jr. Member

Hi Robin,

Firstly, the forms I recommend submitting to the VA are as follows: 21-2680 (medical statement); 21P-8416 (medical expense reported); 21-0516-1 (eligibility verification report); a Care Provider Statement; and 21-4138 (statement in support of claim). Completing these forms accurately will allow Dad to recover the maximum benefits.

Secondly, based on the fact that Dad was denied for excessive income (because his medical expenses weren't high enough), it sounds like the cost of the aide that you mention might not be considered a deductible expense. Quite possibly, only the care received since Dad's health deteriorated (and moving forward) would be considered by the VA. But without knowing more details, I can't say for sure.

Thirdly, on the medical expense report, you add in a category for the type of medical expense (i.e. home care for a care giver or RX expenses for prescription drugs). Then you total the cost of care during the relevant time period and report the total amount of care. You do not list this care as a monthly expense on this form.

Hope that helps.

Kaylin likes this.
  3. jacksonarchie

jacksonarchie Newbie

Thank you so much for your assistance. Yes, I am aware that the previous costs associated with the aide may not be covered and that is fine. He was able to afford that - it is the current cost of the assisted living facility that is the real financial burden. In terms of the medical expense report, though - he has only been in the assisted living facility since December so that is only one month of expense. With his savings, he was able to afford that, but those savings are now depleted and he cannot afford it going forward. I am concerned that won't be apparent if I list only one month of expenses that have been paid. OR will the care provider statement, which has a place for monthly expenses, make that clear?