My father's SS # on his separation document is incorrect

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by frhoard, Aug 18, 2016.

  1. frhoard

    frhoard Newbie

    In gathering documents together to start the procedure to apply for aid for my 93 year old mother I discovered that back in 1945 when my father was discharged from the Army his SS number was typed incorrectly. It's just the first number in the string of nine numbers, which was typed as a 3 instead of a 4. I have contacted the National Archives and Records Administration and filled out their form, providing proof of my father's correct SS#. In the meantime, do I submit a certified copy of the separation document with the incorrect SS# or wait until I hear back from the NA and R Admin?
  2. Kaylin

    Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

    Interesting question. Definitely never run across this before. If you have time to wait until you hear back from the NA and R Admin then I would suggest doing so. The VA wouldn't have a reason to deny your father A&A based on his wrong SSN on his discharge papers. But if he is stretching for funds to pay for his care currently, you could always provide a copy of her social security card and/or another government issued record that has his correct SSN on it with the Statement in Support of Claim form 21-4138 explaining the mistype on the discharge papers of his SSN. I'm not sure how the VA would take that, as this is a new issue to me. Those are the two options I see.

Share This Page