Increase in Expenses-Rental to Assisted Living Apartment

Discussion in 'Expenses' started by John M, Dec 2, 2016.

1. John M

John M Newbie

Well here is my Mom's situation (we are getting mixed advice elsewhere, so glad for this website):

As a surviving spouse of my Dad who was a vet, she applied years ago was eventually approved and has been receiving VA Aid & Attendance about $200-$400 month to cover home care. As typical the amount was adjusted by VA each year based on expenses incurred the prior year. She was living alone in a rental house and further was homebound due to disability from MS. She has very limited income < $1500 month just SS and disability and owns few assets <$2000.

In May of this year she had a setback, needed more regular care & so moved into a one bedroom unfurnished assisted living apartment. It's pretty typical place- staffed 24/7 supervision, handicapped friendly, secure access, includes pull cords in bathroom & bedroom, an hour of day help as needed from an aid for dressing/ bathing, transferring in/out of bed, only one cooked dinner, activities, transportation, etc... all grand total about $4,000/month. During this period my brother and I have been providing $ to cover the extra costs.

Q: exactly what paperwork should she file to capture the extra A&A expenses incurred this calendar year, plus then to get that increase recurring going forward for 2017?
    Q: how much of this monthly rate paid to the assisted living apt can she claim? (the bill is not itemized- it's a flat rate with a couple add on options). For reference, a typical one bedroom non-assisted unfurnished apartment in this city would be ~$700.

Thanks!

2. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

Q: exactly what paperwork should she file to capture the extra A&A expenses incurred this calendar year, plus then to get that increase recurring going forward for 2017?
    Bank statements would be a good bet to show how much she is regularly paying for care each month. You can also get a Statement of Occupancy from the assisted living facility showing the amount she is paying per month - just ask the facility for this paper, they should know what it is.

Q: how much of this monthly rate paid to the assisted living apt can she claim? (the bill is not itemized- it's a flat rate with a couple add on options). For reference, a typical one bedroom non-assisted unfurnished apartment in this city would be ~$700.
    Based on what you said here, it's hard to say especially if there are itemized fees. However, I would keep in mind that any expense you/your mother is paying to help with care (any activity of daily living like getting dressed, going to the bathroom, showering, eating, etc.) can be used.

3. toxdoc49

toxdoc49 Jr. Member

I have a worksheet from the ALF that shows that basically all of my MIL's monthly income is going toward the cost. Since it has the official letterhead of the facility and is a signed paper, i suppose this could be considered the Statement of Occupancy. Or there is probably another paper showing the date she moved in. I could use both when filing the statement in support of claim.

Kaylin likes this.
  4. Kaylin

Thank you for your input, toxdoc49!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. John M

John M Newbie

Just following up on how this turned out. We did in fact get the paperwork turned into VA to request the update in middle of Dec 2016. The assisted living facility does not itemize monthly bill so we just turned in copies showing the total monthly amount and the ADL's it covered. In early Feb, now she got a lump sum reimbursement from the day she incurred the new expenses. And going forward she will get the maximum monthly VA benefit. Thanks!

Kaylin likes this.
  6. Kaylin

Awesome news!