Few Questions on 534EZ

Discussion in 'Surviving Spouse Application' started by Chad15, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Chad15

Chad15 Newbie

Hello! I am currently helping my father fill out an application for Survivor Benefits for my grandmother who lives in Assisted Living with Alzheimer's and her deceased husband is a veteran of WWII. We had a few questions thus far, that I have put below. I am sure we will have plenty more, but definitely, we appreciate everybody's time in helping us out!

• Being that I filed the Intent to File for Survivor Benefits and have received my file number, should I go back and change box 5 on the 21-534EZ to Yes, providing the given File Number in box 6?
    • Where am I able to find box 18C and 18E on the 21-534EZ? I have the DD Form 214, and aren't able to clearly locate it.
    • For both 21E & F and 22E & F on the 21-534EZ, I wanted to confirm that I put death for both along with his date of death for the date for both?
    • Line 24, this would be asking if she is expecting a new child, am I reading that correctly?
    • It appears that we do not need to fill out Section IV, or V, is this correct?
    • For line 35, what should I be claiming? DIC or DIC under 38 U.S.C. 1151?
    • Do I need to complete Section VII, VIII, IX, X? It says Parent's DIC, is that us?
    Again, thanks in advance! I really appreciate your time!

2. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

Hello, Chad15. I applied for Pension with Aid & Attendance for my father, an army veteran, so I don't have experience with the 21-534EZ; however, I'll take a crack at some of your questions and answer as best I can (my answers/thoughts in red):

• Being that I filed the Intent to File for Survivor Benefits and have received my file number, should I go back and change box 5 on the 21-534EZ to Yes, providing the given File Number in box 6? To the best of my knowledge, my father had never filed a VA claim in years past. Like you, I also filed an Intent to File for my father, but I did not regard this "Intent filing" as a claim (minds can differ on that, I guess). As a result, I answered "No" to that question (re has he ever filed a VA claim). However, we were given a VA File # after we filed the Intent, as you were, so I put that number in the following box that asks for it.
    • Where am I able to find box 18C and 18E on the 21-534EZ? I have the DD Form 214, and aren't able to clearly locate it. On my father's DD-214, this info is under the heading "Transfer or Discharge Data" (boxes 11 - 13)
    • For both 21E & F and 22E & F on the 21-534EZ, I wanted to confirm that I put death for both along with his date of death for the date for both? Again, I did not deal with this issue, but if I were you--yes, I would put down the same info on both questions ("death" and the date of your grandfather's date of death)
    • Line 24, this would be asking if she is expecting a new child, am I reading that correctly? Yes, that is my reading.
    • It appears that we do not need to fill out Section IV, or V, is this correct? Correct, if you are seeking benefits for the veteran's wife, these sections are inapplicable.
    • For line 35, what should I be claiming? DIC or DIC under 38 U.S.C. 1151? I am unclear--are you seeking DIC or death pension?
    • Do I need to complete Section VII, VIII, IX, X? It says Parent's DIC, is that us? (see previous question)
    Maybe someone who has experience filing as a surviving spouse will chime in--if so, I defer to them. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Chad15

Chad15 Newbie

Thank you for your reply, Jandy! I really appreciate that! For my last questions, we are requesting DIC to my knowledge. She is in an assisted living home, and would like her to receive the ~$1000/mo to help pay for that. So that would be the DIC box rather than the DIC under U.S.C. box? And that wouldn't be parents DIC, would it? Is there a difference?

4. Chad15

Chad15 Newbie

We must also have different DD-214's, as those boxes line up with other fields (gender, etc)... I'll have to have another look.

5. Jandy

Jandy Jr. Member

6. Chad15

Chad15 Newbie

Oh no! He didn't die in the line of duty at all. I was told that's what to file for! Well, I can easily change that! However I did mark DIC on my intent to file, is that a big deal?

So what am I filing for? Death Pension for the surviving spouse?

He served in WWII, he died in 06 (unrelated to the military, and she now lives in an assisted living/memory care center).

7. Kaylin

Kaylin Hero Member Staff Member

If he died due to service-connected injury then you would probably be filing for DIC. If you are applying for Aid and Attendance, you are filing for death pension. They are one and the same.

Thanks for your input as well, Jandy!